Return to Recipe Index
Flan (mom's favorite)
1 ¾ cups heavy cream
1-cup whole milk
¼ t salt
1 ½ t vanilla extract
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup water
3 large eggs
2 large yolks
7 tablespoons granulated sugar
1. Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
2. Combine cream, milk and salt in medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer
over medium heat. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and set aside.
3. In another medium saucepan, combine 1-cup sugar and 1/3-cup water.
Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and cook,
without stirring until syrup turns deep amber, brushing down sides of pan
with wet pastry brush and swirling pan occasionally, about 10 minutes.
4. Quickly pour caramel into six ¾ cup ramekins or custard cups.
Using oven mitts as aid, immediately tilt each ramekin to coat sides.
Set ramekins into 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
5. Whisk eggs, egg yolks and 7 tablespoons sugar in medium bowl just
until blended. Gradually and gently whisk cream mixture into egg mixture
without creating lots of foam. Pour custard through small sieve into
prepared ramekins, dividing evenly.
6. Pour enough hot water into baking pan to come halfway up sides of ramekins.
7. Bake until centers are gently set, about 40 minutes.
Transfer to wire rack and cool. Chill until cold, about 2 hours or cover and chill overnight.
To serve, run small sharp knife around custard to loosen. Turn over onto plate. Shake gently to release custard.
Carefully lift off ramekin allowing caramel syrup to run over the custard. Repeat with remaining custards and serve.