Return to Recipe Index
Finger Lickin' Ribs
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons each salt, pepper, and paprika
1 whole rack pork spareribs (about 3 lbs)
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
1. Heat oven to 350 F. Have ready a large foil-lined (for easy cleanup) roasting pan with a rack.
2. Mix the Spice Rub ingredients together and rub all over ribs.
3. Place the ribs meaty side up on roasting rack in foil-covered pan. Cover with foil and bake
about 2 1/2 hours to 3 hours until meat is very tender.
4. Meanwhile mix sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and
simmer uncovered 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, for flavors to develop and to
thicken slightly. Brush sauce on baked ribs.
5. To grill: Cook ribs 4 to 6 inches from heat source 12 to 14 minutes, basting once or twice
with the sauce and turning ribs over 3 or 4 times to prevent burning, until lightly charred.
To broil: Line broiler pan with foil. Place ribs on broiler-pan rack and cook 4-6 inches
from heat source as directed.
6. Cut into individual ribs and serve with any remaining sauce.
Tip: Baking the ribs before grilling (or broiling) gets rid of fat, tenderizes the meat
and shortens grilling time.