gbRuler is an easy to use on screen ruler.
Additionally, context menus are provided for each text source.
gbRuler provides a wide variety of features.
- Transparency (wheel mouse to change)
- Customable FG/BG colors
- Minimize option
- ESC ends dialog
- Dialog icon
- Resize with shift+arrows in arrow direction
- Accelerator keys for most context menu items
- Background dims with loss of focus (optional)
- Double-Click to restore default size/location
- Zero size not allowed (10 is smallest allowed dimension)
- Cursor changes over resize marker and when resizing
- Vertical/horizontal layout
- On Top
- Arrow keys to position accurately
- Left-to-right/Right-to-left numbering
- Drag ruler with left mouse on the ruler
- Resize with left mouse on the drag marker (lower-right)
- System tray option
- New scale options (dialog units, pica, twips, cm, and inch variations)
- Improved marker accuracy
- PPI adjustments (to match screen display with physical rulers)
- Font selection
- Use last selected font (quick toggle between default/custom selection)
- About dialog, includes status of various options
- Display Options (ruler size, cursor position)
- Resize cursor replacement
- Greater use of equates in code (easier to understand)
- Ruler position same units as scale
- Online Help
Using gbRuler couldn't be simpler.
- Create a desktop shortcut to the gbRuler.exe file
- Double-Click on the shortcut (gbRuler appears)
- Drag gbRuler next to the items you wish to measure
- Drag the "gripper" to resize gbRuler
By default, gbRuler opens in horizontal mode. Use the right-mouse context menu to
change to vertical if required.
By default gbRuler may be rotated with the wheel mouse. Double click on gbRuler to restore
it to a zero-angle position.
There are an additional 40+ settings with which to adjust the look and action of
All gbRuler's settings and actions are available through the following context menu options ...
The following key combinations are available to the user to access gbRuler features:
- F1 - Help
- F3 - Search dialog
- Arrows - Moves gbRuler in arrow direction
- Shift-Arrays - Resize gbRuler in arrow direction
- Alt-A - zCommand
- Alt-B - Change background
- Alt-C - Use Centimeters
- Alt-D - Dim the rule
- Alt-F - Change foreground
- Alt-H - Horizontal
- Alt-I - Use inches (16 markers)
- Alt-L - Left to Right
- Alt-M - Minimize
- Alt-O - On Top
- Alt-P - Pixels
- Alt-S - Single size marking
- Alt-T - System Tray
- Alt-U - Startup Minimized
- Alt-V - Vertical
- Alt-Z - Use Offset
Misecellaneous information is provided in this section.
When gbRuler starts, it restores the previous session content.
gbRuler application settings are saved in an INI file, kept in the same folder as the gbRuler application.
Comments and suggestions are welcome!